Monday, March 31, 2008

31



On Friday I turned 31. As with turning 30, which was not that different from 29, 31 is not that different from 30. Except I kinda wish it was. I guess in some ways it is. I recently bought a house, J is awesome, I feel settled in at work, I have actually made some friends in Philly blah blah blah. So in those ways my life is different. However, I have not been on a date since oh...maybe October. And every time someone at work sends around pictures of his or her new kid, with pithy captions about how dad isn't good at feeding him or her, how mom rocks, how dad tries but doesn't get the diaper on the way mom does, it does make me wonder if this is more fun if you are doing it with the person you planned to do it with.

Then I remember life with MSTBX and I don't regret leaving him. Even with the impending arrival of the boohoo and the knowledge that this was going to be how I would experience being a mom for the first time. Without the captions, without the support of a partner, without someone who remembers my birthday. (MSTBX didn't bother to say happy birthday. Not surprising as even when we were married and I was pregnant, he forgot my birthday - that was 29). Not sure why this is bothering me today. Maybe because I am still not divorced, MSTBX's girlfriend is moving here (her presence in my kids life irks me beyond belief), maybe because I am tired of all the options in the work cafeteria. Who knows? All in all, everything considered, I still have it pretty good. Happy posts soon - promise.

Anyway, let's pretend that these are pictures of J shopping for my birthday present. Of course she did not get me anything, as she has no money and is only two feet tall. Those are both big challenges when shopping.

Oh and an update to last year's birthday post - I still have not run a marathon. So that goal is accomplished for another year.

1 comment:

TA said...

Holy crizzap, I didn't know you bought a house! And, I missed your birthday. Because I'm a terrible friend. But anyway, Happy birthday, happy house, and congrats on Baby J remaining the Cutest Baby Ever! And I concur that, as you know, you are much better off without YSTBX.