Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Return of the Chubby 5th Grader


Today was my last day of work at my now "old" job. It reminded me of the last day of 5th grade at the Catholic school my mom forced me to go to for one year. I hated the year there. One of the girls in my class had her mom bring her in lunch from a restaurant every day (remember my home town has recently been featured in the "Real Housewives" series). So for my last day, and in order to make an obviously miserable kid a bit happier, my mom brought me lunch from Grosso's, including Cool Ranch Doritos. Shockingly, it didn't make everything better.

Anyway, when I left school on that final day in June 1987 or 88, you would have thought that I would have been thrilled. But I wasn't. I cried and was sad. To this day, I have no idea why.

Now in January 2010, I am sitting on my couch, done with a job that I have really enjoyed for most of the time, but have struggled with for the last year or so. And I am remarkably sad even though you would think I would be nothing but happy.

As with the chubby 5th grader, sitting in an awful plaid jumper (our uniform) in the back of my mom's station wagon, I am not sure why I am sad. I think some sadness is normal, but the amount I feel is somewhat unexpected. The intervening 22+ years since 5th grade have given me the wisdom to surmise why I am sad. Here we go:

- I have worked there for my entire career. It is weird to hand in my laptop, blackberry and building pass and walk out the door. And in this age of constant communication, it is hard not having that email address because that is how I communicated with many people.
- some people didn't take the time to say goodbye, even over email in response to my farewell email. People that I thought I was friends with or would have thought to. (I stopped by but they were not in). And the person I probably was closest too has kind of ignored me for a few days and then at the party tonight didn't bother talking to me. Like many things in life, it reminds me of X in that it is another way to passively show that I really don't matter to them. But whatever. It makes me sad, but I will deal.
- the exit interview had some really tough questions and it was hard to answer them honestly without coming off as bitter.
- I am detoxing from zombie meds and I feel physically terrible. Literally like a drug addict. Plus, I am feeling less like a zombie and am thus actually feeling emotions instead of nothing. (the flip side is that I feel truly and actually excited to start my new job, I feel positive emotions as well as negative ones now).

More Jillian related posts to follow. Promise.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I am not sure you should attribute people's silence to indifference. A lot of people may be very angry and sad that you are leaving. I was also taken by surprise that my friends weren't happy for me when I left, since I'd bitched endlessly for months before I decided to go. But a lot of people felt betrayed, and also felt judged as inferior because they were staying around. They are having complex responses, I bet, and you should not assume that its because they didn't like you. Its probably the exact opposite.

As for your response, you should accept that change, even positive change, is very hard, and emotionally stressful and just live with it until it feels old and then leave it behind. You are going to be exhausted and overwhelmed at a new job you love for the same reason. Change is difficult. Good luck!! You'll do great. Congratulations!

Megan Dempsey said...

I heartily agree with Andrea. Most people are probably jealous or just a little bit "oh, this place isn't good enough for her" and that makes them embarrassed that they are still there.

Change is always hard, and especially something big like starting a new job. But YOU are going to kick ass at it and be so glad that you took the initiative to make this change. Because change is good and refreshing and yet sooooo hard to initiate in life! Congrats! You are going to rock!

mu-galto said...

I have very smart friends. Thanks guys!

Jenny said...

Andrea is wise and insightful as usual. :)

M, are you taking any time off before you start your new job? If so, and if you're looking for something to do, there's always visiting DC! The (now not so small) baby panda is getting sent to China at the end of the month--I bet J would love to see him before he goes!

Anonymous said...

Stephen Pierce, World's #1 internet wealth advocate, is offering his book "Make Real Money on the Internet" absolutely free! Get a copy today! http://tinyurl.com/y99wnzw