Saturday, August 8, 2009

Wine School: An Attempt to Meet People



I just returned from Wine School. I signed up a few weeks ago, not to learn about wine, but to try and meet people. This class always sells out - always - so I figured maybe I would make a new friend, maybe there would be a cute guy, perhaps I would learn something. I realized that it was very yuppie and likely on the list of stuff white people like, but at least I would get out of the house. Which is something I seem to do less and less of these days on the weekends I don't have J. I miss that little boo.

Of course, the class I go to had sold out but of the 20 spots only 9 people showed up. And were comprised of two couples, two girls together who were like 23, and 3 cougars. I count myself among the cougars, although I was the youngest so maybe cougar-in-training is a more appropriate description of me.



Clearly wine school is something that desperate middle aged women do to entertain themselves and/or meet men. I am a cliche.

I met no men and made no friends.

But I did LOVE wine school. It was really fun and I learned alot. My knowledge of wine is quite limited. Like when Mama V told me to DRINK THE BOX-O at beer bike years ago, I did and I LIKED it. Bizarley is hawking a new brand of boxed wine, and I am like, hmmm - I should get that.

I also will gladly drink Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill and not in an ironic way. It is delicious.

But at wine school, I learned about non-boxed wine. And I want to sign up for another class, with the motivation just being to learn, not to meet men.

I am disappointed that there was not even a prospect in attendance. Another example of how I am trying, but nothing is happening. I am starting to think I may actually never, ummmm hook up, for lack of a better way to say it, again. I watch shows like the Tudors and tear up during certain scenes because I don't even remember what it is like to do such things. Sorry if this is TMI. There was alot of wine at wine school. And now, per usual, alot of whine in this post.

1 comment:

J U S T S O M E G UY said...

Is it just a one night class? Can we do a class while I'm in town??