Thursday, August 2, 2007

"You're A Mom!!"

I have taken up the past time of drinking on Thursday nights. Not because I am a bad mom, or an alcoholic, or anything else that MSTBX can hold against me in any pending custody disputes, but to get to know people at my firm. Plus, with summer associates here the booze flows like water.

Anyway, last Thursday a couple beverages into our night at the Continental Midtown someone decided to do shots.* Woowoo shots were mentioned because they had appeared on Entourage. I hate Entourage and I hate fruity shots, so I decided that everyone would do Jagermeister shots.** I like Jagermeister shots and refuse to accept that most people find them disgusting. Just ask Bizarley of "this...party...sucks." She was subjected to my love of Jagermeister during Beer Bike in 2004. And then we ate Taco Cabana...Good times.

So Jagermeister it was - I can be pretty persuasive once I have a couple. One summer associate was pretty adament about avoiding the shot. In fact, in trying to do so, she shouted at me "You're a mom!!!" Talk about a buzz-kill. And inappropriate. She got two shots. And her offer is on the line. Just kidding of course about the offer.***

I can have fun even though I am a mom, right? It is not like baby J was staying with me for the night. She was at MSTBX's. It is weird to be a new mom, and yet have a bit of freedom to act like a jackass on certain nights. I think I balance it pretty well, despite the summer's use of my parental status to avoid shots.

*in no way does my firm force anyone to do shots.
**Neither do I. I simply chose the shot people who wanted to do one would do. We are all adults and make our own decisions.
***No one's offer is contingent upon drinking or not making me feel like a shit mom.

3 comments:

TA said...

I say the summer associate exercised poor social judgment in dissing your mothering skillz, and who wants a colleague with poor social judgment?

Also, you're a good mom. I'm sure, for instance, that you do not make Baby J do Jagermeister shots, and that's what really counts. :)

Bizarley said...

Jager RULES. Nothing says "turning 30" like a few Jager Bombs. You get so distracted by the awful flavor, that you forget you are drinking alcohol. It is messed up.

I think you are a great mom. The fact that you like to have fun, too, just makes you an even better mom. Britney Spears, now THAT is a bad mom.

mu-galto said...

Poor Brit. She is off her rocker.