Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Elmo is Naughty!


Jillian has fallen for Elmo. It started with a book in which Elmo is only tangentially involved. Why of all the characters she focused on him, I have no idea, but apparently kids gravitate to that red fuzz ball who only speaks in the third person. So we got her an Elmo doll. Today when I got home from work, she insisted on putting a bib on him and giving him a bottle. Then she fed him pretzels. Then she threw him around for awhile shouting "fall down!" (she learned ring around the rosey, and that is her favorite part.)

My mom also got her an Elmo video - parents you may be familiar with the refrain "la la la la, la la la la, it Elmo's World." She loves the video. She takes the tv remote out of its hiding place (a drawer) points it at the tv and shouts ELMO! To be fair, she also knows that Barney is on the tv and sometimes demands him (who oddly I prefer). Anyway, in one part of the Elmo video he asks two of the most annoying characters ever created, Mr. Noodle and his sister Ms. Noodle (played by Tony award winner, Kristen Chenoweth for reasons unknown, I would think she be getting better roles), to teach him about taking turns. So they do; they take turns on a swing. After they are done Elmo looks to the camera and says "those Noodles are a bunch of swingers!!"

Honestly, I cracked up when I heard that. Jillian has developed a "cocktail laugh" where she laughs whenever an adult does, I think just to be part of the crowd. So she started laughing. There we were, me and my daughter, just a couple of girls laughing about Elmo being naughty.

I hope there will be more laughter in the future, and perhaps less freakin' Elmo.

No comments: