Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Namaste

First, I fixed the links in my blog roll so that they all work. Previously, Above the Law, Go Fug Yourself, and Happy-Go-Lucky did not work. Feel free to send any rewards you feel I deserve for managing my own blog to me at my office. I am never home to get packages.

I have been meaning to post about yoga for a while. Not sure why I wanted to write about it, maybe because my life is SO FREAKIN' BORING that besides J it is one of the more interesting things I have to write about....so here we go.

I started doing yoga in SF and did it regularly from 17 weeks pregnant (at that time I finally stopped puking every five minutes) until 35 weeks pregnant (when I found out X was cheating on me and admittedly let some things slide). I enjoyed it. So when I moved to Philly, I started going to yoga with L.

But it is kinda different in Philly. The yoga studio owner is a bald, tatted up, muscle heavy, philly-accented dude. Not a woman who regularly tells a story about swimming with dolphins and swearing that they talked to her through their hearts. It is a bit more my style, less chanting, more working out.

Man, my life is boring....and so is this post. So I am switching gears. Here is a non-yoga, more interesting story - on Saturday night I was out with some friends and S decided to help me pick up a dude (given my super success in meeting people). We were a few drinks into the night, I agreed, so she picked out a tall, cute boy. After talking to the boy for a few minutes, S ran over to ask me if I knew Y partner at my firm, and I was like "yes, he is big time, the former managing partner of the office." Seriously, not awkward at all. He came over with some friends and we chatted. I learned he is young (26) and that he works in commercial real estate but is not worried about the economy at all (see successful partner as dad). Then I went home, alone, marveling at my luck that the cute, tall boy was the son of one of the most important partners at my firm, and thus off limits.

Overall though, it was a super fun night and involved drinking beers called "double bags" - no joke. I got a kick out of ordering them from the bartender "two double bags please."

I guess sometimes my life is not boring. Just today as I did boring work and stressed out about losing my job and wondering what I would do in that situation. Freak out obviously. But then what? I thought about maybe becoming a dental hygienist but I am not good with mirrors - like I can't back my car up well using them - so I doubt using a small mirror to poke around people's mouths with sharp instruments is for me. I also hate spit. So two strikes against being a dental hygienist. I applied to the FBI but was rejected immediately because of a single answer to a question. I hear the CIA is hiring. Develop a pyramid scheme? Predatory lending? I welcome any suggestions.

7 comments:

S said...

I'm famous! I will continue to pimp you out to your boss's kids as it provides me with great amusement and you with blog fodder.

Andrea said...

Sports betting will likely weather this economic downturn, plus you are already great at it. Also, personal shopper/stylist. Do it.

Andrea said...

I mean be one, not get one.

mu-galto said...

Oh did I mention that S also tried to pick me up a dude another time who I talked to for 3 seconds before noticing his wedding ring. (She had not noticed it). Then she pointed out that he was wearing "puffy sneakers." So he was a married puffy sneaker wearer. BEST WINGWOMAN EVER! :)

As for my "career" any and all betting seems like a good play at this point, it would be exciting at least. My 93 year old grandma suggested I open a bar because "bars always do good when people are down."

S said...

Ha, I forgot about that. Then I told him that he looked like a monkey, I think because he had super short curious george hair. That's about the time you slowly started backing away. I blame the brown liquor.

Aunt A said...

As another single girl that is always on the prowl....I do not immediately think we should discredit the guy with Managing Partner as a parent. Ask Nancy about me. I hooked up with a guy whose mother is a NAMED partner at our firm. His car got broken into outside of my house and he used my phone to call his mommy to ask what he should do (forget the fact that he was 35 and he was calling his mother!!!!). So, his passport and computer were stolen (he was leaving for France later that week). Anywhoo.....his mother probably gives me raises each year because she thinks I live in the ghetto. She has suggested that I sell the house I had just bought and "move somewhere safe." Ok...I have reconsidered....DON'T HOOK UP WITH THAT GUY....IT COULD SPELL TROUBLE.

But on a high note, Valentine's day is on a Saturday this year.....GREAT!!!!! :)

Jenny said...

M, of everybody I know I have the most faith in your ability to weather an economic downturn. Plus, I don't understand how real law firms work, but they would be fools to lay you off.