Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Alabama's Latest Epiphany

Is that Lynyrd Sknyrd wrote a song about it being a pretty sweet place to call home. And Alabama is going to exploit that fact.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070918/ap_en_ot/music_lynyrd_skynyrd (I put the link it but it didn't show up. I am going to put it immediately below this, and perhaps you can see it...who knows...I suck at this).



As the State Tourism Director so brilliantly states, the song provides "instant" brand recognition. Is a state really a "brand?" How will this campaign incorporate the tourist haven of the Florabama bar (drinking establishment, not test), which technically is in sweet home Alabama and the slightly less sweet Florida? And has mullet (the fish, not the haircut) tossing contests?

Also, why the hell is this news? I didn't dig for this, it was on Yahoo.com's in the news section. I guess by writing about it I am a bit of a hypocrite, but it was my sweet home for a while.

All y'all better comment every now and then...

4 comments:

Megan Dempsey said...

I have never been to Alabama, but it's on my list of "don't care if I ever make it there states" - sorry if I am offending anyone. Although who knows, maybe I would kick ass at throwing mullets? Can you get extra points if you have mullet hair as well?

rockstarjenny said...

Cutehead, I am as offended as I would be if you told me there are no Anthropologie stores in Alabama.

I hate sweet home alabama. two verses praise george wallace, and one verse insults neil young. still, you can dance to it.

mu-galto said...

Dude, those Alabamians are sooooo sensitive that they don't have an Anthropologie. Even those with law degrees from Yale...who like to make fun social situations awkward.

Jenny said...

Rockstarjenny, your reaction is an interesting combination of hating Sweet Home Alabama but having sentiments similar to the ones that inspired the song when someone disses Alabama. (Admittedly, though, your reaction involved less luv for George Wallace than Leonard Skynyrd's.)