Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Parenting skillz put to the test


Ok, so we all know that I am not the world's best mom. However, up until this point, I think that I have held my own (despite the parenting skillz displayed in the picture above - hey she likes it!). Tonight though we had an absolute meltdown about a toy boat whose captain* would just not stay in the place J wanted him to stay in (note: not the place he is supposed to go, where he fits on a peg holding him down). As much as I tried to reason with her, she just wouldn't pay attention to my sound logic re: the captain's position. I realized that this is going to be where parenting gets really hard. There I was, sitting on the floor trying to rationalize with a 15 month old. Maybe next time I will send her an email.

Anyway, I realized I had a few choices (1) I could continue to try to explain why it is not worth getting upset over this (2) I could just let her cry or (3) I could try to console her and put the captain where she wanted him to be (i.e. give in). I am not sure which of these options is best. This uncertainty might be a result of the fact that I have not read one parenting book, other than one I read before I had the baby. Oddly, I chose to continue to try to explain to J that it just really wasn't that deep and not worth the tears.

I feel like it is only going to get harder from here.

* Ok, the captain is actually Noah and the boat is the arc. I originally didn't want to disclose this fact, for fear that my dear readers would think I like overtly religious toys for my wee one. My parents bought it, and it is from fisher price, not some wacko, Focus on the Family-esque toy catalog. And at the end of the day, it is a plastic boat with some animals and a dude with a beard. That being said, I am not going to completely rule out the possibility that my parents are forcing some level of religious education on her given my 13 month delay in getting her baptized and thus securing her the opportunity to get into heaven.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Sorry to hear about the drama below. I just wanted to comment that, regardless of the bullshit you are dealing with, you look GREAT in this picture. Good luck!

DJSassafrass said...

Stopped by and read your blog--I have to say, I think you are an amzing person to be dealing with all you are with the ex, holding a stressful job and raising baby J. Cheers to you! You are a great example of a female.

Megan Dempsey said...

I can't believe how BIG Jillian is in this picture!!! She looks like she's three years old!!!!!! And, she looks like the happiest baby ever. Which means you are doing a great job of being a mom, period. Can she come visit me soon, please???

TA said...

You are a good parent, don't let anybody (cough) tell you otherwise, and I'm sure Baby J has stopped crying by now and Noah is safe in his arc. :)