Saturday, April 4, 2009

Dilemma


Jillian likes tv. I am not one to judge given my love of all things television, including Rock of Love Love Bus, Gossip Girl, and other educational programs, but I feel like I am in charge of making her a well rounded person, interested in the world around her - not just the one projected through one of our three tvs. That is a long sentence that I am not going to bother to edit.

So, I was looking at new cars and like the Toyota Venza. I am not sure if I am going to buy it. In fact, I am pretty sure I am not. But anyway, it comes with a dvd player in the back. This is a tempting feature because Jillian will sit and be quiet for a long time if watching a movie. For example, on the 3.5 hour flight to and from Houston, she sat and watched Cinderella and a completed effed up My Little Pony show for the entire time. It made the trip much easier.

But here is the thing, do I want her to be able to watch dvds every time we drive? I admit that on one of our longer car rides, a 3.5 hour drive to Long Island, it was touch and go for a while. There were some tears on everyone's part. We made it, but it was exhausting and stressful. And since it is going to be just me and her in the car, at least 90% of the time, perhaps having the distraction will save me some stress. While this is a benefit, I also think it is a problem. When I was little, car rides and plane rides were where I would daydream and read and listen to music and color or draw. All good things in terms of creativity and being able to entertain oneself. I worry that if there is a dvd player in the car, Jillian will not have to develop that skill.

Thoughts? And yes, this is what I am thinking about on a Saturday morning when I do not have Jillian. Whether I want a car with a dvd player when I am not in the market to purchase a new car. I need a hobby.

Houston pictures and full report coming soon.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

We're going to try and commit to no tv/dvd in the car. I won't say we will never. I do admit that some of the kid's music we sing and listen to does get annoying after a while. So, your long trip might deserve a tv. If you have the will power, maybe the rules are to have the tv on only for longer trips? Don't know how well that would work.