Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"That" Mom


I think I am going to be "that" mom in Jillian's class. You know the one who barely has it together, forgets to pick up her kid, doesn't go to parent teacher conferences, basically the one that all the other parents look down on and judge. Because the other day I received this email:

*******
Dear Parents & Board Members,

This Thursday, July 23, at 8:15, there will be a coffee on the 3rd floor of the GTS Primary to introduce teacher. Please RSVP. The coffee is for adults/parent. We will be setting up another time for the children to stop by while teacher is setting up the classroom.

It’s going to be a great year. See you Thursday.

From,
Principal
*******

So I RSVP that I am going to be there and I show up on July 23 at 8:15pm. The school is locked, there is no one in sight. Because, duh, the event was at 8:15am - it was a COFFEE. Yup, don't expect cupcakes on J's birthday class, or me to be organizing field trips. Oh and J likes to tell people about "dada's new friend" and how said new friend "sleeps over" and "likes coffee" but isn't "dada's friend E that used to live with us." Awesome. She will tell the other kids this kind of stuff and I am sure their parents will be mortified. I take my place as "that" mom.

J is right to cover her eyes in shame. And yeah, that is a vegas t-shirt she is wearing.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Hilarious! Don't worry, I'm "that" mom at my son's Montessori here in Texas!

Andrea said...

I grew up being the daughter of 'that mom' (the demon divorcee...) and she was the best parent ever. So don't sweat it. I'm more curious about the other nugget you dropped in there.

Jenny said...

The 8:15 thing was ambiguous. Ambiguous! What is the deal with Daddy's new friend?