Sunday, October 7, 2007

My attempt at a Birthday Cake




Today my family and friends celebrated Jillian's first birthday. Her actual birthday is tomorrow, but as most of us will be at work, today was a good day to have a birthday brunch.

In my attempt to be a good mom, I decided I would bake and decorate Jillian's cake. So after she went to bed last night, I made the cake, decorated it, and put aluminum foil over it. It looked pretty good, I must say. In Curacao, I tried doing henna tattoos on myself and others and they came out alright, so I channeled those skillz to prettily write "Happy Birthday Jillian" and draw some flowers. I even selectively placed rainbow sprinkles.

But alas, when you just put aluminum foil over a cake pan, it sticks to the freshly decorated cake. Thus, when I served the cake today, it looked, well, jacked up. Please see above. Jillian didn't care, as you can also see that she enjoyed eating it.

The only cake that can be considered lamer than the cake above, was the cake my mom sent to me for my birthday my junior year in college. It arrived at 4011, I opened it up, and it was a sheet cake with the traditional flowers and ribbon icing decorations, but it SAID NOTHING. It was a blank cake. Totally sad. No "Happy Birthday," nothing, nada. While it was the lamest cake ever, it was hilarious. Oh and we totally put the hurt on that cake anyway.

3 comments:

J U S T S O M E G UY said...

Yum. I want birthday cake, which makes me think of the little cakes we'd get at kroger.

Megan Dempsey said...

It still looks prettier than any cake I have ever made. The flowers in the corners are cute! But, not as cute as the cutest baby girl ever on her first birthday! Happy Birthday Baby J!!! Soon it will be Toddler J!

EMC2 said...

The cake was excellent, as was the party. We powered through that cake despite all odds: fallen foil, confused waitresses, and the utter lack of fire in today's smoke-free restaurants. The candle (singular) was lit and puffed, and othing could hold back the fun! And your expertly-laid frosting made a stylish goatee on Jillian.
Thanks!